Mas: This is a house made of natural stone, which is often over 100 years old. The mas has traditionally been made exclusively of natural materials; Natural stone, a mixture of clay, lime and sand and wood from the pine trees that grow here. A mas is perfect for the climate here. In the summer it is pleasantly cool and in winter it keeps the warmth inside the wood stove.

Finca: This is a piece of land.

Finca rustica: A piece of land that is located outside the boundaries of the village, these plots are not connected to the drinking water and electricity grid.

Finca urbana: A piece of land that is within the boundaries of the village and is connected to water and electricity.

Finca with water: This is a finca which is connected to irrigation water. This can be done via the irrigation canal of the village or via the water network that supplies water for finca rusticas. Not all fincas are connected to water, this is indicated in the description of the property.

Water deposit: Sometimes there are deposits inside the mases which is a concrete reservoir where rainwater is stored. This concrete square reservoir is often situated under the mas, so the water stays cool. They can have a capacity of for example 10.000 liters.

Ruin: This is a mas, of which only the walls are remained.

NIE: This is a fiscal number you have to apply for at the Immigration Service when you want to purchase a house or a finca, it´s your identification number in Spain. You´ll also need this number to submit your tax return, start a business, open a bank account, for almost all other forms you need to fill in, as well as the purchase of different items.

Note simple: This is an extract from the Spanish Property Register. This shows whether there are multiple owners and whether there is any debt and / or inheritance.



Is it possible to live permanently on a finca?

After a meeting between SLM and the municipality in September 2015, it is possible to be registered as a resident of Maella at the town hall when there is a mas on the property, so it is possible to live permanently on the finca. Although facilities such as electricity, water and the internet should be generated alternatively, because the plot is outside the urban area. It has also been agreed that those who live outside the urban area will pay waste tax (around 60 euros per year), just like the inhabitants who live within the urban area.

Is it possible to renovate a mas?

It is always possible to renovate an existing building, when it is located within the boundaries of the finca. It's important to check this before purchasing a property. Sometimes even the vendor does not even know this because it is quite common in this area that the building is located outside the plot. In order to renovate a mas, a permit is required and, if necessary, a corresponding project from an architect.

What possibilities are there for new construction on a finca?

The process of new construction is a little bit more complicated than the process for the renovation of a mas. For example a minimum surface area is required, it varies by municipality and in which area it is located and it sometimes differs over the years which surface area is required. In addition, aspects such as distance from the boundary of the plot, distance from the road, distance from the river and from other houses play a part. And possibly other aspects that play at that particular location.

Thanks to our experience, contacts and good relationship with the municipality we can find out if it is possible to build something new on a plot and under what conditions.

In general, the municipality's preference is for the renovation of existing masses.

Can a mobile home or similar be placed on a finca?

It is not allowed throughout Spain to place a mobile home or similar on a finca rustica. The state sees this as a camping, even though it is on its own. And to be able to camp on a finca, a license is required which is valid for three days. This is what is described in the regulations.

In practice, it is different and per municipality it differs from how flexible they are with this. In Maella, it is currently accepted, although there are sometimes checks and it people have been asked to remove the caravan. Placement of a mobile home can thus be solely on your own responsibility.

However, if a license has been requested for the renovation of a mas, it is accepted to stay in a mobile home during the renovation.

Do I need a license to build something on my ground?

Yes. There are different building permits for different types of buildings. If you work with a contractor, the contractor applies for the license. If you want to built yourself, you will request the permit yourself. For the possibilities of building, we recommend consulting a local architect.

Is the climate good for growing vegetables and fruit?

It is a perfect environment, with excellent weather conditions to grow all kinds of vegetables. With water, you can grow vegetable throughout the whole year. The climate is ideal for grapes and almond, olive and peach trees. It is also possible to plant apple, fig, nectarine and walnut trees. The landscape is flat between the mountains and therefore ideal for working with the earth.

What can I do with the trees on my property?

The trees mentioned above generally do very well in these areas. Villagers have been earning money for years for the sale of their almonds, olives, peaches and grapes. Depending on the rainfall, the trees sometimes need some extra water to improve the quality of the nuts and fruits.

It is also possible that somebody else takes care of the trees. There are enough farmers who want to maintain trees.

You can also work with someone who has experience in maintaining a finca.  With the goal to maintain the finca independently in a few years.

How do I get gas, water and light?


In Spain, people do not have natural gas at home like in the Netherlands. In the Netherlands, each household has a gas connection. In Spain this is not possible, due to the distances and the landscape. That´s why gas bottles are used. Gas bottles are available at many gas stations. For the bottle you pay one-time +/- 35 euros. The price for the gas is changing regularly, so we can not list a price. For those who want to replace their bottle for a full one, they can also redeem with the gas delivery truck that drives through the village. In summer it is once in two weeks, in winter it is every week.


Some properties have a connection to water and others don´t. Plots that do not have a connection are often equipped with a water reservoir (cisterna) or a water tank (deposit). It is possible to fill this reservoir by rainwater, which is collected via the roof, you could collect water from the village or it can be brought to your finca.

It is indicated in the description of the finca if a finca is connected to water.


There are several ways how to get electricity. If a finca is near the regular electricity grid, it is possible to establish a connection. If this is not possible, you can also get energy by alternative methods like solar panels, gas generators and wind turbines. Due to the many hours of sunshine and wind, these are good alternatives to obtain energy.

Is my Dutch health fund in Spain also valid?

If you are insured in the Netherlands, this insurance also applies to European countries that are affiliated with this insurance. For example, Univé has a pass which is also valid in Spain. The package for which you are insured in the Netherlands is recognized as such in Spain. 

What if I want to learn the language?

A single person speaks English in this area. Of course, it is nice if you are in a supermarket, bakery or restaurant and you know some Spanish words. Lessons are offered in each village. This is very well arranged by the municipality. Twice a week there are lessons of 2.5 hours. You will soon learn a few basic sentences and you can save yourself reasonably. Additionally, you may not see them, but hidden between the mountains and in every village, you will find people from your country or people from other countries. Of course, less than when you go to the Costa Brava, the surroundings of Bajo Aragon have consistently maintained its authenticity.

Does a finca have an address?

A finca rustica doesn´t have an address and no postal delivery will be given. Although the finca doesn´t have an address in Maella it´s possible to live on the property. If there is a registered building it´s possible to get registered as a citizen of Maella at the town hall. You can optionally open a mailbox in Caspe or Maella. A finca urbana on the other hand does have an address.

Do I need a cap permit to remove the trees?

No. You can decide what to do with the trees and if you wish you can cut them. Only the trees on your property, not the ones (mostly pine trees) that are growing on the mountains, surrounding the plot.

What are my fixed annual expenses over my land?

Per hectare this is about 3.50 euros for the road tax and 4.50 euros for the property tax.

What costs, in addition to the asking price, should I take into account? Such as notarial fees, brokerage fees, etc.

Notary fees:

This is an amount of between 200 and 500 euros.

Agency fees:

The agency fee is included in the price.

Impuesto Transmision Patrimonial:

Transfer tax: In Aragon this is 8% of the purchase price.

Registration fee:

These are the costs to put the finca into your name, and are between 100 and 500 euros.

Where can I apply for a N.I.E.?

There are two ways to apply for a N.I.E.:

1. You can apply for your N.I.E. at the consulate of Amsterdam or in Brussels or at the Spanish Embassy. Keep in mind that it may take several weeks before you will receive your N.I.E. The cost of this is +/- 9.50 euro.

2. You can apply for your N.I.E. in Spain. This can be done in Alcañiz, a city about 50 km from Maella. You will there receive an application form, which you can fill in. This form can also be printed and completed before. Normally you will receive the NIE on the same day.

To reserve a house or finca it´s not necessary to have a N.I.E. This is done by a Contract of Deposit and therefore the details of your passport or DNI are enough. Once you come back to your country, you can apply for the N.I.E. so that when you return to Spain you´ll have the N.I.E. for the Notary Agreement.

Can I receive internet on my finca?

You can receive internet via satellite or via a dish. There are also packages with internet access which go with a mobile phone subscription.

What is a Nota Simple and should I apply for one?

A Nota Simple is an official document of the Spanish Property Register about a property. Simplelifemagalia applies for a Nota Simple at the register at all times for the transaction. On a Nota Simple, it is easy to state whether there is a debt on the finca or house, whose is/are the owner(s), if the property is rented to someone, whether the finca is taken by the bank and whether the taxes are paid in the past. We also inform us at 'La Comunidad de Regantes', if a finca or house has water, to know if the water is paid. Before the purchase, we also inform us about the property the Cadastre, the town hall where the property is located and the notary.

Do I need a Spanish bank account to pay taxes in Spain?

You can pay taxes in two different ways. You can pay cash and you can pay by bank automatically. For direct debit, you need a Spanish account number. The first payment must be paid in cash with the bank, if you want to pay by direct debit, you can then indicate this.

Can I open a bank account if I do not have a Spanish address?

Yes. You can open an account once you have a N.I.E. The bank will ask you for a phone number and an e-mail address to send bank statements. If you go to the bank please bring your passport or ID.

What factors affect the price of a finca

There are several factors that affect the price of a finca, some examples of which are;

- The location

- The presence of water and / or irrigation system

- The size

- Emotional value of the seller

- Reachability

- The plantation

- Is there a building and what is the size and state of this building?

- Does the property have an ecological certificate?

- The invested money in the property by the vendor

- The state of the orchard

- Personal financial situation of the seller

What does it mean if a finca or house is 'RESERVED'?

If a finca or house is reserved, someone has signed a reservation contract and made a deposit. In a reservation contract are the details of the seller, the finca or the house and the buyer. Furthermore, there is an end date in the contract, the buyer is willing to complete the purchase by the Notary before this date. The deposit and the end date have been determined in consultation with both parties.

If the finca is sold and both parts have signed at the Notary, the finca will be removed from the website after a few weeks.